4.17.2005

Blocked

Yesterday, while driving my son to the hospital for some lab tests, I caught the song Breakaway on the radio. I love this song- it's so beautiful.

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly
I'll do what it takes til' I touch the sky
I'll make a wish Take a chance Make a change
And breakaway
Out of the darkness and into the sun
But I won't forget all the ones that I loved
I'll take a risk
Take a chance Make a change
And breakaway
~Breakaway, Kelly Clarkson

The other day, I took these awesome pictures of my son.

Evan, walking away from me Posted by Hello

I love how they look when they are together- like he's walking away from me (which is was doing). After I took them, before I uploaded them to my computer, I was thinking something along the lines of the first step being the first step away from Mommy. Ok, yeah, it was fine and would have worked- but it was extremely cliche, and I'm trying to avoid that (most of the time). Besides, I've already done a layout about his first steps, and these aren't them.

So, yesterday, I catch this song. It's not really my type of music (Kelly Clarkson doesn't really fit in with CKY, Lacuna Coil, or HIM), but I really like the song. Specifically- the chorus. As soon as I heard it- I knew. That's what I want to use on this layout.

The problem? It's just not flowing. I've tried to work on this layout three times. I have the kit that I want to use (Holly McCaig's Grandparent kit), but it's just not working. I may have to go and buy a new kit. I'd make one, but my creative block doesn't end with just layouts- I have one page kit that I've been working on for over a month. A month. I love the papers that I made- muted greens and browns, perfectly for those muddy days in April- but I just can't get it perfect. *Sigh* But this isn't about making kits- it's about designing a layout.

Everyone gets blocked from time to time. I need to do something to break my block- I'm thinking that I might try to make some brushes today (I got some neat pictures while at my grandfather's yesterday, but I haven't looked at them yet), and then see what I can do that isn't scrapbooking related. I'm loving all these wallpaper patterns that are coming out now- the swirls and curliques in bold colors. There's a kit featured in DigitalScrapbooking.com's premier issue (if you haven't bought this yet- DO IT. It's awesome, and April's customer service is perfect- I had a complaint about not receiving the issue, and she promptly sent my the copy that I ordered and a free PDF version to hold my over until it arrived) that is just to die for. The kit is the Viva Valentino collection, shown on page 37. I'm drooling over it.

But- back to being blocked. It sucks- big time. I want to complete this layout, I want to complete the Mud Pies kit, but I just can't seem to concentrate that much on it. Maybe tonight...

No comments: