2.27.2005

The Future of Digital?

It's been asked countless times- what is the future of digital scrapbooking?

Everyone has their own predictions- and many of those predictions take the form of hopes and dreams. We hope that Chatterbox and Autumn Leaves and SEI will come out with digital versions of their product lines (yet we don't consider that the kits from those companies are only going to cost slightly less than the paper versions- maybe a $15 kit instead of a $20 kit). We hope that more designers will start designing kits (yet we don't consider that out of all of the digital designers on the market today only a handful create high quality digital elements. If we start pushing people into designing, then instead of giving ourselves plenty of high quality designers to choose from, we flood the market with mediocre designers- lowering our standards and our prices).

We really should be careful what we wish for. While it would be wonderful to be able to purchase a digital version of Basic Grey's latest product lines, I don't want to lose my business because of it. I'm not a big name. I'm a little name- some people know who I am, but I'm willing to bet that most don't. I don't want to bet my future as a digital designer on being picked up by a big name company. I imagine that there are plenty of digital designers that are wondering what would happen to them if the big name traditional companies go digital.

The problem is there is no way to stop this. The only way to actually stop something like this is to not buy those kits. Unfortunately, there will always be someone willing to purchase a kit from a company like Chatterbox or Basic Grey- no matter the price.

No comments: