11.09.2005

Hilarious!

This thread at 2Peas gave me a giggle this morning. Most of us have had someone criticize our hobby- doesn't matter if you are digital or paper. My new favorite line of all time comes from that thread: "If you are so danged devoted to surgical-grade preservation of photos, then why in the name of all that is holy do you persist in chopping your precious, precious pictures into such ugly-ass shapes?"

Yep, hilarious stuff. No, I don't use my own handwriting on my layouts (would like to, but I'm still working on writing with my tablet. I'm practicing by doodling- check out my new profile pic. She started off as a doodle). I don't think that is what is important, anyway. I have a recipe box, with handwritten recipes. When I'm gone, my family will have that to remember my handwriting. Or my address book. Or my handwritten journals.

What's important is our reason for scrapping- whether that reason is to preserve memories or as a crative outlet or simply because we have folders of pictures that we need to do something with. Who cares if you hand write your journaling or use everything including the kitchen sink or create your own elements in Photoshop?

Gah, I'm tired right now. I was going somewhere with this... I think that my point is it doesn't matter HOW you scrapbook. Because HOW you scrapbook is going to tell the people looking at them after you are gone a hell of a lot more than WHAT you scrapbooked about will. Think about it. Looking at my layouts, someone who did not know me might assume that I enjoy working on the computer, that I'm creative, that I love my family, that I have a sense of humor, etc, etc, etc. I don't think that we should do things just because someone else told us to, because they think it's 'better'. If you like gluing pictures to construction paper, doodling cute little flowers in Crayola markers, and sneezing stickers all over the place, then go for it. Ignore those who laugh and point and say 'sticker sneeze!'. Just like I ignore those who look at my layouts and say that I'm missing out on the tactile feeling of scrapping. Trust me- I'm not.

No comments: