11.22.2005

The Incredible Invisible Virgin Mary

About 13 years or so ago, I asked my grandmother for a Precious Moments nativity. My grandmother had the hardest time finding one- I mean, a REALLY hard time finding it. It took her about 3 years to find one. I was so excited when I opened the box. I love this nativity- and for years, had it displayed year round. I boxed it up earlier this year, because we were moving. I wrapped each piece in newspaper, put them on the top of the box, and put the box in my parents' garage.

Sunday, I went to get the tree and ornaments out of the garage. The tree was easy to reach- right there, in front. I couldn't reach the ornaments- they were buried in the back of the garage- so I left them there, and figured that I'd ask Mike to help me get them out yesterday. While I was in the garage, I found a box of yarn, and the box that I had put my nativity in earlier this year. I got those boxes inside, and began unpacking them.

I found shepherds. Joseph. The baby Jesus. My sister's flute (why it was in the box of yarn, I have no idea). A really cute crocheted shawl. Lots of pretty yarn.

No Virgin Mary.

So I have a few theories here.
  1. Someone broke into our garage, found just that box, opened it up, removed Mary, closed the box and restacked it neatly.
  2. Mary is now invisible.
  3. I have another box of Christmas stuff buried in the garage somewhere.
Number one is unlikely- there are two sets of expensive golf clubs in the garage, a propane heater, lawn mower, etc, and someone stole my Virgin Mary? Number 3 is believable- but why would I pack Mary in another box and the rest of the nativity in that one? Number 2- well, I doubt that she's invisible.

Normally, this wouldn't bother me. Any other set, and I'd just replace her. But not this set. Remember me saying that it took my grandmother 3 YEARS to find it? Well- I haven't been able to find the rest of the set since then. I want the angels and the wisemen, but haven't been able to find them anywhere. And I've looked. I think that my set has been retired- which means that I have a snowball's chance in hell of finding affordable pieces for it.

I want to get a new nativity- because I have three boys, and if a miracle does happen and I do find the rest of the pieces to my set, I don't want them to get broken. I have three boys- and I can just see them getting wild, throwing a ball in the house (not allowed- but they don't always listen), and knocking the pieces over and quite possibly off my curio cabinet. Yeah- not good. The one that I really like is the Willow Tree nativity.

It's pretty.

It's cool.

It's also wood.

I'm so tempted to wrap my house in bubblewrap.

No comments: